Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY: Chalkboard for the kitchen

2012-10-01 002

I have been wanting to do this little project for a long time, and I’m so excited it has finally happened! My kitchen has a chalkboard now!

I found the frame on my first trip to a thrift store. I went in looking for one specifically and found this one which I thought would work. I had wanted it to be more ornate and detailed but couldn’t find anything like that, but this was a good size.

2012-09-18 041

This sat in the garage for a couple weeks while I gathered my supplies and waited for a naptime where I could tackle this. Sadly the little one decided she doesn’t need naps anymore! So it took longer than expected. But anyways, couple of paint sessions later. Here it is.

2012-10-01 003

I used Martha Stewart’s chalkboard paint from Michaels. And I painted the front of the glass (I had found via pinterest that it works, and yes it does) instead of a board or anything. The frame was spray painted with two layers of Rustoleum spray-paint in glossy white, which left no need for a top coat or varnish. Super easy, except not so much if you try to spray paint in the backyard while trying to keep your toddler busy with other things. lol. But that is the wonderful life of a mom!

Here it is hanging in the kitchen!

2012-09-29 004

2012-10-01 006

2012-10-01 008

Thanks for stopping by!

2012-09-29 003

2 comments:

  1. I love your blogs and chalk boards and picture walls and colours n paintings lol I have much more stuff to be loved in your house <3
    I want to hang a same chalkboard at my room (yes,im copying your idea because I am inspired), can you give me little more details about this chalkboard paint please ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so muchhhh. You can sure copy it, as i copied it in the first place too:). It depends on where you are located. In the US it is easy to find chalkboard paint like this one by Martha Stewart that i used, http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-32217-6-Ounce-Chalkboard/dp/B007C7XLFA

      Or find tutorials to make your own. Here is the link to one, http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/02/how-to-mix-chalkboard-paint-in-any-color.html

      Hope this helps. Xoxo

      Delete

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you!